Wednesday, August 24, 2016

8.24.16

Wednesday = college shirt day
Dalton and I are sporting our college shirts.  Next week I will be sure and remind everyone so we can see how many colleges we can represent if you are interested in participating! :)




One of my most favorite parts of the day is sharing our "GOOD NEWS".  Each morning after morning work and announcements, 7 of us or so (however many we have time for that morning) can share their good news.  I ask them to "tell me something good that has happened to us since we left school yesterday".  I emphasize that this DOESN'T have to be huge.  It can simply be "my mom made my favorite food for dinner last night".  SOMETIMES it is huge, like "I got a new video game".  But that's certainly NOT the norm.  LOVE hearing what is going on outside of school time and it gives me a peak into their life and what they love. 

Sharing good news...




I am LOVING these "check for understanding" stoplight rings.  These are so helpful to us.  We can simply start working after directions are given and repeated and they can tell me how the task is going without having to get up and find me or yell out in class to get my attention.  Plus our arms aren't getting tired while they are holding them up waiting for me to make it to them. Yea!

"I understand the task!"


"Please check on me in a minute.  I want to try it on my own first."


"Please help! I am really confused!"



journal prompt and writing expectations 


During read alouds we do many "turn and talks" to our neighbor to share ideas.  After a turn and talk we will share what our NEIGHBOR said to us.  Helps us with our listening AND reflection skills.  





Playing "Find a Friend Who..."



I may have been called the "tooth pulling teacher" a time or two.  I would rather have the teeth out than their hands in their mouths.  ;)

Day 3 and 2 teeth pulled.  Thinking I need to keep count this year.


More practice with Read to Self.  Silent, sustained reading takes a lot of practice!







5 comments:

  1. Thanks Mrs Graves for you daily blogs. We love reading and that gives us chance to talk on dinner table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the pics. Happy to see kids activities. Rishik said he is happy at school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Fun !!! Our kids are so lucky to have you Mrs. Graves :-)

    ReplyDelete