Thursday, January 9, 2020

1-9-2020

Number Talks
What is a strategy that you could use to solve this problem?



Working on our doubles facts and our doubles plus one facts.








A great song to help to memorize the doubles facts.



We also worked on the Making 10 strategy. 
We roll a dice, wrote down the number then we had to figure out what we needed to add to that number to get to 10.




We wrote down 1 goal or resolution and then illustrated it. 






We are starting this unit by talking about Historical Figures. Instead of just telling them about each person we did a little hook activity by placing items around the room and did a museum walk. They had to walk around and look only at each item and write down things they noticed or wondered about the items. 


 





Today we learned specifically about Benjamin Franklin. I passed out facts about him to partner groups. They read the fact and discussed with their partner what they thought it meant, who did they think it was about, why was that fact important, etc.









We figured out it was Benjamin Franklin. We talked about some amazing things he did in his life and how our life is different because of him. 

I rolled this out for them and asked them what they thought a timeline was. 


The pink words were the initial ideas.


I gave them 1 hint by putting today's date on the timeline. Some of the blue words on the circle map were added after I put this date. 

I also realized I forgot arrows at the end and that also helped their thinking.


Next I added my birthday to the timeline. We added more ideas to the circle map.
I asked lots of questions and an idea that they really didn't know anything about when we started, they got there on their own with questions and discussions. 


We added Benjamin Franklin's significant events to the timeline. 


This is a crazy hard puzzle that I have in my thinking station. After weeks and weeks of working on it, we finally got some clues off the internet and figured it out today!




No comments:

Post a Comment