Monday, September 18, 2017

9.18.17




I introduced Approaches to Learning stations this morning.  We will get to choose these as we finish our morning journal.  To some eyes it looks like "playing" to mine it looks like cooperating, decision making, resolving conflict, etc. :)







Today we used base 10 blocks to make the SAME number in multiple ways.


40 ones
or 
50 ones
depending on the group :)




1 friend took away 10 ones and exchanged it for 1 tens stick.
1 ten 40 ones
or
1 ten 30 ones
depending on the group.



Another friend now took 10 ones and exchanged for 1 tens stick.
2 tens 30 ones
or 
2 tens 20 ones

Still equals the same number we had before.



A 3rd friend took 10 ones and exchanged for 1 ten.
3 tens 20 ones
or
3 tens 10 ones.




Finally we took away the last ones and had ALL tens. 
4 tens 
or
5 tens

Still equally the same number.
(I guess I didn't get a picture of this step.)


Reviewed verbs.


Introduced adjectives.
We talked about having a noun and a verb is a GOOD sentence and it's like eating a bowl of ice cream.  But adding toppings makes it better.  Adding adjectives to describe our nouns makes the sentence better!


I gave them a verbal description of my dog. Then I had them draw it based on my adjectives. 



Then they compared it to a picture of my dog. They did a really good job with my adjectives to help them!


Adjective song.



We did a matching game with motion words.  We matched the words to a picture.






We used these words to talk about HOW things (nouns) move.  Words like: circular, diagonal, left, right, straight, push, pull, etc.  We pulled out the marble mazes to watch a marble move in these ways.







How we made the marbles move:













1 comment:

  1. I love love love seeing what they're learning in class and their interactions with their peers. Thank you, Mrs. Graves, for sharing those precious moments with us!

    ReplyDelete